Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Some planned cleanups of the 802.11 dissector

From: Simon Barber <simon.barber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 11:50:16 -0700

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 1:59 AM, Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Joerg,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I plan to do some cleanups to
- somewhat improve the readability of the code
  1) Get rid of reduntant author entries and code comments, see
     https://code.wireshark.org/review/16154
Mixed opinion about this change... (but to last already merged)
But i think we can remove all authors info (or add online by author like already on the top
 Credits:
 *
<= Add list of contributor (from shortlog ?)

  2) Get rid of those fixed field functions that only add one of two items.
     Call the remaining functions directly (without the indirection of
     add_fixed_field()).
if i remember, it is add because more easy to "maintain" this code...

- make the use of filters more straight forward: We currently register the
  following top level filters within the file:
  wlan_aggregate
  wlan
  wlan_mgt
  wlan_rsna_eapol
  I'd like to merge at least wlan_mgt into wlan. I don't see the gain in the
  separation and it definitely confuses me:
  a) wlan_mgt is not only managemnt frames but also control frames while
     data frames are just wlan.
  b) The addresses inside wlan_mgt frames are addressed via wlan.xxx
Good idea but..
it will break all filter... (and wireless is often use...)

Can be wait after 2.2.0 ? (planned to this summer)

How about supporting a new syntax all under wlan. now, and removing the old syntax later (2.2.0)?

Cheers

Let me know what you think about these things.

Thanks
   Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>