Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Why does the SCTP submenu appeat twice?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 01:11:56 -0400

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 11, 2016, at 5:03 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, it's surprising it was added (again) the analyze.
>
> Historically all items in Telephony were in Analyze, which became too long to be
> practical. Therefore all Telephony related items were grouped in their own menu.
> This included SCTP.

So is SCTP a telephony protocol, or is it a protocol intended for general use that's currently primarily used for telephony?

If the former, I'd put it under Telephony.

If the latter, however, I'd put it under Analyze.

The latter.  It was initially developed in the SIGTRAN working group but then moved over to the transport working group (I believe that happened when it was realized that it really was a general-purpose protocol).

I'd /guess/ it's still in the Telephony menu for people expecting to find it there.