Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark ready for industrial usage

From: Thomas Wiens <th.wiens@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 00:38:35 +0200
Hi,

thanks to all to the effort in this part, this is really helpful. I've
done a quick test with two Siemens CPUs, and it looks good.

What also would be useful in the industrial automation field, is a
statistics overview.
Some time ago I've started a project in python, which calls tshark to
extract some Profinet fields of a capture file, and calculates some
statistic data, like min/max/mean jitter values and the number of lost
frames and errors. Because the old versions hadn't this GSD-file
feature, I've estimated the projected update rate by ARsetup telegrams
(if there are some), or if there is none, by the cycle-counter differences.

But the Profinet dissector is still a plugin, I don't know if it's
possible to write a tap (which I think is needed) for a dissector which
comes as a plugin. Is there any reason why it's still a plugin?

--
Thomas Wiens