Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Some questions about the "option block" interface in libwiretap

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 18:40:37 -0700
1) What is an "option block"?  No capture file format we read has anything called an "option block"; in pcapng, a file is a sequence of blocks, each of which can have zero or more options.  Is an "option block" really just a "block" - or what other parts of libwiretap call a "record"?

2) In the pcapng specification, nothing prevents a block from having multiple comment options; can the "option block" interface handle that?

3) What mechanisms are available for handling block/record types, or options, not currently supported by pcapng, but that might be provided by other file types?  Hadriel Kaplan suggested getting a Private Enterprise Number (PEN) for wireshark.org, and using custom blocks and options for this purpose; have we gotten a PEN for wireshark.org yet?