Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Fixed position mode (packet list view).

From: Jakub Mazur <kubsztal1978@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 22:44:54 +0200
Hello,

some time ago I've submitted the bug report 12137 as a feature request:

In the mean time I've implemented a proof of concept and created a short
video with the explanation, what I'm talking about at all ;)

In a nutshell: Wireshark doesn't allow to inspect/view/analyze data fields of
incoming and dissected packets in a real time during live capture. This is
very useful while developing any device when one is not interested in
analyzing all frames being sent, rather he'd like to know if device responds
properly on some external events. Capturing all packets and analyzing them later
(especially if frames are sent quite fast e.g. every 10 ms) can be quite
challenging. Fixed position mode addresses this inconvenience.

So please check the video (I've used a GPS simulator as an example of a device
under development) and let me know if you could be interested in adding such
a feature to the target branch. I can do full implementation, just a little
bit of help would be needed from fellow developers who know Wireshark architecture
by heart - for me this is still some kind of muddy place (2 months ago I knew
about Wireshark (and gdb) only one thing: they exist ;)

Regards, Kubsztal