Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] compiling asn.1 dissectors in Linux

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:04:52 +0100

On 11-04-2016 22:37, Jo�o Valverde wrote:

On 11-04-2016 21:33, Guy Harris wrote:
On Apr 11, 2016, at 1:13 PM, Born In <d3c1978@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you. Was able to get past this.

Have another seemingly basic question. How do you append a suffix to
the version number of custom compiled version of wireshark?
The Windows method of using an environment variable doesn't seem to
be working in Linux

There are multiple build systems for Wireshark:

    1) autotools (UN*X-only - *maybe* you can try it on Windows with
Cygwin, but we don't support it);

    2) nmake (Windows-only)

    3) CMake (UN*X and Windows).

With nmake and CMake, the WIRESHARK_VERSION_FLAVOR environment
variable should work, on Windows or, for CMake, UN*X.

With autotools, that doesn't work - you'd have to manually edit the
script.

Is there any reason not to have the configure script check
WIRESHARK_VERSION_FLAVOR and, if it's set, use it, the same way the
nmake files and CMake files do?

Done in https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/14886/

The WIRESHARK_VERSION_EXTRA environment variable is also not supported but because AC_INIT defines VERSION statically the usefulness of an environment variable seems doubtful. It will not work during configure.

Currently make-version.pl -r must be run before autogen.sh to influence the VERSION macro (or else use VCSVERSION).