Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] compiling asn.1 dissectors in Linux

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 22:37:02 +0100

On 11-04-2016 21:33, Guy Harris wrote:
On Apr 11, 2016, at 1:13 PM, Born In <d3c1978@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you. Was able to get past this.

Have another seemingly basic question. How do you append a suffix to the version number of custom compiled version of wireshark?
The Windows method of using an environment variable doesn't seem to be working in Linux

There are multiple build systems for Wireshark:

	1) autotools (UN*X-only - *maybe* you can try it on Windows with Cygwin, but we don't support it);

	2) nmake (Windows-only)

	3) CMake (UN*X and Windows).

With nmake and CMake, the WIRESHARK_VERSION_FLAVOR environment variable should work, on Windows or, for CMake, UN*X.

With autotools, that doesn't work - you'd have to manually edit the script.

Is there any reason not to have the configure script check WIRESHARK_VERSION_FLAVOR and, if it's set, use it, the same way the nmake files and CMake files do?

Done in https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/14886/

(the basic build guide for Linux seems to be almost non-existent (compared to Windows). This may be intentional, but the not-so-brilliant folks like me have trouble with it :-) )

Wireshark was originally a UN*X program, and its build process was constructed for UN*X; building on Windows requires a lot of extra stuff, so more documentation was written for that.

Br