Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building with CMake on Win10 and VS2013 (win64)

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:31:21 +0100

On 30 March 2016 at 18:10, João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 30-03-2016 16:46, Graham Bloice wrote:

On 30 March 2016 at 16:02, João Valverde
<joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 30-03-2016 14:57, Graham Bloice wrote:

        On 30 March 2016 at 14:39, João Valverde
        <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

             No problems building the installer with NSIS 3.0b3.

        OK, now install on a non Windows 10 machine that doesn't have
        the VC2015
        redist already installed.

    Sure, I don't have one at hand but I will test it. The package
    includes the redist.exe and this backward-compatibility stuff is
    Microsoft's bread and butter. Assuming I built it correctly I'll be
    mildly surprised if it doesn't work.

That's what the TortoiseSVN folks thought and they ended up with so much
grief they switched to forcing all the VS2015 run-time libs from their
installer into the application directory.  Admittedly VS2015 Update 1
has been published since then.

Running wireshark on a Windows 7 x64 machine after using this installer fails with a system error, missing "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll".

This is kind of what I expected, the VS2015 CRT is split into two parts, and the platform part is updated by the OS and on systems < Win 10 requires the installation of the platform part via the redist file.

But after I manually installed the same "redist" that I assumed was bundled with the installer the missing dll error is gone and Wireshark runs without issues on Win7. For reference this is the "vcredist_x64.exe" I used:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23506

The installer offered to install "Wireshark" and "Wireshark 1" (and TShark, etc), which is weird... but no errors.

So there probably needs to be some work in the NSIS installer to make sure the correct redist is bundled and deployed on the target system.  You've also moved the goalposts a bit by using NSIS 3.0.  Note sure why you get those different install options, again I'll blame NSIS 3.0 for that :-)

I'd like to work on getting VS2015 fully up to speed, but likely won't have any spare time for that until after SharkFest.  There's no pressing need to drop VS2013, it can still be downloaded from MS.

--
Graham Bloice