Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building with CMake on Win10 and VS2013 (win64)

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:10:26 +0100

On 30-03-2016 16:46, Graham Bloice wrote:

On 30 March 2016 at 16:02, Jo�o Valverde
<joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 30-03-2016 14:57, Graham Bloice wrote:

        On 30 March 2016 at 14:39, Jo�o Valverde
        <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

             No problems building the installer with NSIS 3.0b3.

        OK, now install on a non Windows 10 machine that doesn't have
        the VC2015
        redist already installed.

    Sure, I don't have one at hand but I will test it. The package
    includes the redist.exe and this backward-compatibility stuff is
    Microsoft's bread and butter. Assuming I built it correctly I'll be
    mildly surprised if it doesn't work.

That's what the TortoiseSVN folks thought and they ended up with so much
grief they switched to forcing all the VS2015 run-time libs from their
installer into the application directory.  Admittedly VS2015 Update 1
has been published since then.

Running wireshark on a Windows 7 x64 machine after using this installer fails with a system error, missing "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll".

But after I manually installed the same "redist" that I assumed was bundled with the installer the missing dll error is gone and Wireshark runs without issues on Win7. For reference this is the "vcredist_x64.exe" I used:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23506

The installer offered to install "Wireshark" and "Wireshark 1" (and TShark, etc), which is weird... but no errors.