Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can't build GTK only using CMake on Windows7

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:35:28 +0100

On 30 March 2016 at 14:01, Robert Cragie <robert.cragie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have always had issues with trying to have both cygwin and git (or any other pseudo-GNU/Linux environments) coexist on Windows. It is normally a case of juggling paths until it just works. This is probably why (I can't remember exactly why) I had to put the cygwin path ahead of the git path for nmake, as then it "just works".

The rules I have always used for Wireshark builds, and urged others to use, are; a) don't put Cygwin on your path and b) only put git\cmd on the path.  If you can do this then things should "just work".

If you need Cygwin or other aspects of Git on the path for other work, then consider creating a VM of some flavour for running the Wireshark build so you can keep the Wireshark setup isolated.

It sounds like it needs cygwin for some things and non-cygwin for others, where the same executable exists in both environments. I don't know how to resolve this. In the meantime, please do not get rid of using nmake for the forseeable future as it will totally break things for me unless a satisfactory solution can be found.

The plan is that nmake will be left in the 2.0 branch, but removed from master and 2.2.

If anyone wishes to retain nmake builds then they can locally create a branch from the last master revision before the deletion of nmake and then keep that branch in sync with master, amending the nmake bits as required.

--
Graham Bloice