Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Localization problem with UTF entities

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 23:04:00 +0000

On 24 March 2016 at 22:28, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 24, 2016, at 2:43 PM, Thomas Wiens <th.wiens@xxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) Before calling lupdate use scripting/temporary files and replace <"
> UTF8_HORIZONTAL_ELLIPSIS> with <"…">, and all other UTF8 entities used
> in the .cpp source files.

Would that work if the compiler is not treating the text file encoding of the C source file as UTF-8?

I don't think all compilers we use treat the source files as being in UTF-8 (MSVC, for example, doesn't do so, as far as I know).

The VC++ compiler support for Unicode can be found at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xwy0e8f2(v=vs.120).aspx, this is for VS2013, our current compiler of choice.

For UTF-8 encoded strings, there has to be a BOM in the source file.

--
Graham Bloice