Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Shift to Github?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 23:40:59 +0100
On 04-03-16 20:49, Sahil Shekhawat wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I am new here and considering developing a plugin for gRPC protocol. Since, I am
> just getting started, I am wondering why haven't we shifted to Github if we are
> already using a web based code review system?
>
> I know that there is already a mirror but PRs are ignored there. It will help
> people like me.
>
> Thank you,
> Sahil Shekhawat

Hi,

>From https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Workflow

Q: Why does the project use Gerrit (why not e.g. GitHub)?

A: Git allows projects to choose from several typical workflows for
collaboration. One is the dictator and lieutenants model followed by the Linux
project, where the first line of integration is done by a selected set of
developers (lieutenants) responsible for functional areas of the code and the
final integrator is the dictator. GitHub emphasizes the social aspect of
development and helps this model by implementing pull request and merge based
collaboration. In the Wireshark development model on the other hand,
functional-area-based code ownership is not very strong and every Core Developer
tends to review any kind of change. Gerrit helps in implementing exactly this
kind of workflow, where integration is done by peer-review. It is worth noting
that in peer-review based integration there is no similar role to the dictator
who can be a bottleneck sometimes. Her/his part of role is implemented by Gerrit
itself. Gerrit is used by other big projects (LibreOffice, Android, etc.) with
similar development structure.

Thanks,
Jaap