Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Perl checkAPIs errors

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:04:21 +0200
Hi Tobias,

Hey,

before uploading my changes, I wanted to test my files with perl, like its mentioned within the guide “3.9 – Contribute your changes”.  For my new functions I edited three files.
  • Starting perl for the first file I first got the error, that I used non-ASCII Chars. Since I have fixed that problem, starting perl another time for the same file it’s just crashing and I get a Windows message “perl.exe has stopped working”. Looking to the prompt, there hasn’t been added any new output message by perl. Does anybody know, whats happening there or how I get the error for crashing perl?
(I used the perl command within git-bash and having a win7 x64 operating system.)

  • Using the perl command for the other two files, I get this message on the prompt:
“Nested quantifiers in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/ \s index \s*+ <-- HERE  [^\(\w] / at D:/Development/wireshark/tools/checkAPIs.pl line 1395.”
I even don’t get the point of that message. Can someone help me with that issue?

The Perl script is tested (and supposed to work) with Cygwin's Perl interpreter. I do not know whether it's expected to use with the Perl version packaged with Windows Git package. Could you retry from Cygwin terminal rather than git-bash one? On my side I avoid as much as possible the use of pre-packaged programs from Git Windows installer.
BTW if you copy the tools\pre-commit file in our D:\Development\wireshark\.git\hooks folder, the checks will be performed automatically at commit time.

Regards,
Pascal.