Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] master e282c19: autotools: Fix multiple

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 09:37:46 -0500

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Morriss
Sent: den 23 februari 2016 15:07
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] master e282c19: autotools: Fix multiple repetitions of -L build flags

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM, João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 22-02-2016 14:28, Jeff Morriss wrote:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 2:45 AM, Wireshark code review
<code-review-do-not-reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:code-review-do-not-reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    e282c19 by João Valverde (joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>):

         autotools: Fix multiple repetitions of -L build flags

         Before:

           WS_LDFLAGS=' -Wl,--as-needed -L/usr/local/lib
    -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib'

         After:

           WS_LDFLAGS=' -Wl,--as-needed -L/usr/local/lib'

         Bumps autoconf required version to 2.64.

FWIW this means Wireshark master (to become 2.2) will no longer work on
RHEL/CentOS 6 (which has autoconf 2.63).  I don't seem to have an easy
way to check SLES.

(Just for the record) Anders' config.log shows that his SLES 11.2 system is also running autoconf 2.63.

I noted that too, is it possible to easily update autoconf? (RPM?) Or would that drag in all kinds of dependencies? Long term I’d like to push

my users to SLES 12.1 anyway.

Regards

Anders

I'd imagine that an RPM would cause too much damage.  But I have this vague memory that someone had installed an updated autoconf (in /usr/local) on one of our RHEL 5 machines which extended how long I could build Wireshark there for a couple of years.  I think they just downloaded the source, compiled, and installed it.  Not the best for those who like to keep their system clean (all software in RPMs) but it worked.