Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Do we really need port preferences for dissectors?

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 16:00:13 -0500
I'm not surprised we're getting those questions, but for me I'd like to work towards the goal of providing an overall solution for heuristics and get away from dissector specific ones.  I'm not sure how to get there (reasonably) without taking dissector specific decisions away (because it lessens the logic/complexity needed).
Right now the functionality I'm talking about fits into our existing Decode As, so that's why I'm suggesting putting it there.  Long term (probably post 2.2 release) I'd like to see Decode As, enable/disable protocols, enable/disable heuristic dissectors, "conversation Decode As" (and maybe other items I'm forgetting) all somehow merged into a single UI data representation.  But I'm looking at it from the bottom up and questioning whether we have the underlying data structures to do such a representation now.  I'm also trying to figure out how to minimize impact to the code required in a dissector.  It would be nice if the dissector could be completely ignorant/unchanged and just have all of these heuristics done in dissector_try_uint_new (and similar) functions.