Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark fails to start with wpcap.dll built by Visual Stud

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 18:11:11 +0000

On 3 February 2016 at 17:44, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It make sense to switch to VS 2015. It uses the Universal CRT, which ships
with Windows 10 and is available via Windows Update (KB 2999226) on earlier
versions of Windows.

I'm hoping to switch Wireshark's Windows installers to VS 2015 before 2.2
is released, but that depends on our third party DLLs (most notably Kerberos).

Caution.  There have been issues with the Universal CRT, so much so that TortoiseSVN, which jumped onto 2015 very early, now copies the CRT DLL's into the application directory (which is permitted) to avoid the windows update part of the OS portion.

As it happens, my next but one task in the day job is to move our build over to VS2015, so I'll be finding out a lot about this in the next 2 weeks.

As I think I mentioned last year, I did make changes to our winpcap repo to build under VS2013 (all parts) and I didn't find any deployment issues at all.  Hopefully I can check that again very soon.  The bit we need to organise is the signing of the build products.  I can sign with my companies cert for my testing but obviously can't release that to anyone else.  This build of WinPcap was only done to bring the build environment up to date, there were no other functional changes in WinPcap.

--
Graham Bloice