Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Mac Build Error

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 00:06:41 -0800
On Jan 21, 2016, at 11:42 PM, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry to disappoint ;-), but it can be done, just not in a convenient way. And the 9oo10 mostly is fixed by using a newer version then 2.8.12 for CMake. There are some issues already with the RC compiler and the NMake Generator (does not get the correct Include paths set), but the Visual Studio generator works just fine.

So what version of CMake should we specify as the minimum on various platforms?

(The platforms where that matters most are the ones for which there aren't binary packages from cmake.org but are third-party binary packages - especially where each release of the OS has its own package collection, possibly with older versions of CMake (I'm looking at you, Linux distributions and *BSD package collections).  Those are the ones for which it's more work to get a newer version - for OS X and Windows, you can just get the latest version; for the commercial UNIXes, you might have to build from source no matter *what* version you want; but if there's an older version in the package collection, you can either just install the package and get the older version or built from source to get the newer version.

cmake.org has what it claims to be binary packages for IA-32 and x86-64 Linux, although I'm curious how likely they are to run on an arbitrary distribution.)