Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Mac Build Error

From: David Morsberger <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 09:08:37 -0500
I went down a rabbit hole and pulled myself back out. I narrowed it down to the following.

We are using cmake to check if the linker supports ‘-Wl,—as-needed'. The test compile (and link?) command cmake builds using ‘cmake -G Xcode’  does not fail.

The command from ‘cmake -G’ has been narrowed down to the following:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang \
 -Qunused-arguments \
 -DWS_LD_FLAG_VALID0 \
 -Wl,--as-needed \
 -c src.c \
 -o src.o
$

The following modified command generates an error:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang \
 -Qunused-arguments \
 -DWS_LD_FLAG_VALID0 \
 -Wl,--as-needed \
 src.c

ld: unknown option: --as-needed
$

It appears the linker isn’t called when the -c and the -o options are present. The following warning is generated when the ‘-Qunused-arguments’ is removed.

clang: warning: -Wl,--as-needed: 'linker' input unused

The cmake logic in CMakeLists.txt is basically:

   SET(CMAKE_REQUIRED_FLAGS "${_FLAG}")
   CHECK_C_SOURCE_RUNS(“int main() { return 0;}" ${_RESULT})

where _FLAG is set to ‘-DWS_LD_FLAG_VALID0 -Wl,—-as-needed’

So, how/where is the clang compile/link command generated and why isn’t it being setup for clang to link?