Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Reassembly of IP fragments gets confused by multiple packets

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:43:29 +0000

Hi,

Trying to summarize…

captured on the "all" interface of a Linux machine acting as a router, or merged two captures from networks on different sides of a router.

various sorts of tunneling (or "other sorts of tunneling", if you view VLANs as a form of tunneling)

The right generalization might be to have some sort of "network tag" which incorporates a network interface ID plus all VLAN tags for the packet ("all VLAN tags" to handle QinQ).

So if we go for network tag, or key should that be created by

Outer VLAN tag, Hash of Source MAC, protocol-level, interface index(Pcap-ng)?

Outer VLAN tag should take care of, VLAN and QinQ, right?

Source MAC should take care of, “duplicate caused by mirroring” and alike(?)

Pinfo- curr_layer_num Should take care of tunneling(?)

Interface index should take care of ANY interface traces(?)

What size should the key be, is 32bits enough?

Starting by using outer VLAN ID in the IP dissector should take care of part of the problem at least.

Best regards

Anders