Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Mac Build Error

From: David Morsberger <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:28:56 -0500
> On Jan 19, 2016, at 9:11 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Jan 18, 2016, at 7:04 AM, David Morsberger <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Not exactly sure how the outdated file showed up in the wireshark source (not build) hierarchy. My guess is it was due to a cmake run because of the following.
>> 1. mkdir build
>> 2. cd build
>> 3. cmake <options> .. to include cmake -G Xcode ..
>> 4 No make file in the build directory.
>
> You said “-G Xcode", so there shouldn't *be* makefiles, there should be Xcode project files; when I tried that, with CMake 2.8.12.2, it *did* put Wireshark.xcodeproj in the build directory.

My bad. I agree with no makefile. There was a Wireshark.xcodeproj in the wireshark directory, not in the build directory.

>> It appears to put all the generated files in the wireshark source directories.
>
> When I tried it with -G Xcode, CMake didn’t put anything in the Wireshark source directories.

Not sure what to say but I’ll chalk that up to something odd in my environment. It’s working as expected in 3.4.1. I could go back and check 2.8.12 however I’m wondering if that is necessary.

>> This behavior is counter to the build instructions.
>
> The build instructions aren’t intended for Xcode, and don't have any section for Xcode; there are instructions for Unix-like systems and for Windows.

I agree there are no Xcode instructions. I was referring to the build files being in the build directory. Like I said above, chalked up to something in my environment.

I am trying to create support and possibly instructions for Xcode.