Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 2.01 packages in Ubuntu ppa

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:52:39 +0100

> Hi Bernard,
>
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 12:31:12PM -0500, bernard ck Wong wrote:
>> I have installed wireshark2.01 from the wireshark stable ppa on Wily (64
>> bit) and wireshark-gtk crashes immediately. The errors are in attachment.
>> The  package for vivid 64 bit works without issue though.
>>
>> I just compiled 2.01 from source and it didn't crash.
>
> Can you please post the outptu of:
>
>     tshark -G currentprefs | grep gui.layout_type
>
> If it is "#gui.layout_type: 1" (or something in the range 1-6) and still
> crashes, then maybe some memory is scribbled. Can you try to reproduce
> the issue with a clean configuration? Example:
>
>     HOME=/tmp/wshome wireshark
I have reproduced the issue in a clean Wily VM.
And did short triaging:

#4  0x00005653770ef3e3 in main_widgets_rearrange () at
/home/vagrant/wireshark-2.0.1+g59ea380/ui/gtk/main.c:3491
3491            g_assert_not_reached();
(gdb) p prefs.gui_layout_type
$1 = layout_unused

Recompilation does not help and the preferences file is not created.

The Qt version and tshark start fine.

Cheers,
Balint