Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] radiotap_info

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 17:19:33 -0800
On Jan 5, 2016, at 5:06 PM, Simon Barber <simon.barber@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is this used by anyone? I don't see any reference to it. Any reason I can't remove it?

It's used by listeners for the "radiotap" tap.

There are no listeners for that tap in the Wireshark source; the only listeners out there would either be plugins or versions in private/forked versions of Wireshark.

If it were to be replaced by a tap that, for example, passes on the struct ieee_802_11_phdr structure - or if the "wlan" tap were to be changed to pass that structure on - that would be an improvement, as, instead of a tap that can only handle radiotap, there would be taps that could handle *any* radio header, as long as it can handle not getting all the radio information it wants.

So if that's your plan - replacing the "radiotap" tap with a generic "802.11 radio information" tap, or adding the generic 802.11 radio information to the "plan" tap - go for it.