Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Duplicate heuristic short_name "XYZ"

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:35:51 -0500
To make Decode As less confusing, Wireshark is enforcing unique protocols for each table so duplicate entries don't show up in a Decode As list.  This was a bigger problem with TCP and UDP were 1 protocol would have multiple dissectors that would do drastically different dissection, but you couldn't tell which was which from the dialog.

As a result, you can't register two dissection functions associated with the same protocol ID.  The fix is to create  "placeholder" protocol ID.
For example, you have your "XYZ" protocol ID, and you would add "XYZ over USB Bulk" protocol ID to use for your heuristic dissection.  The "placeholder" protocol ID doesn't actually need to be called in your dissection (so filtering with it won't do anything)