Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Current C-Standard used in wireshark

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 17:06:15 +0000

On 2 January 2016 at 16:48, Thomas Wiens <th.wiens@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 02.01.2016 17:23 Graham Bloice wrote:

> I can't see what the error is from so little context.  You're using the
> same build approach, i.e. CMake and the same environment with VS2010 and
> that works?

No, VS2010 on Win7/32 using nmake, works.

New computer, VS2013, Win7/64, used the actual guide from:
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupCMake.html

msbuild step fails with at least:

"C:\Development\wsbuild32\Wireshark.sln" (Standardziel) (1) ->
"C:\Development\wsbuild32\docbook\user_guide_docbook.vcxproj.metaproj"
(Standardziel) (61) ->
"C:\Development\wsbuild32\docbook\user_guide_docbook.vcxproj"
(Standardziel) (68) ->
(CustomBuild Ziel) ->
C:\Program Files
(x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(170,5): error
MSB6006: "cmd.exe" wurde mit dem Code 9009 beendet.
[C:Development\wsbuild32\docbook\user_guide_docbook.vcxproj]

I've tried to reinstall all the VS2013 programs, but doesn't help. I've
had before VS2012 installed, and deinstalled it before installing
VS2013. I have no problems compiling other C++ programs.

Maybe it's better to setup a virtual machine only for use with wireshark
development, as there are so many dependencies.

I think using a VM is a reasonable approach, that's what I do.  In a number of cases where I've helped folks with build issues, it's come down to other things on the path conflicting with the required WS build environment.  Keeping the build environment dedicated to Wireshark does make life easier.

The docbook stuff requires the Cygwin asciidoc and docbook xml packages to be correctly installed.

Can you try:

    msbuild /p:Configuration=RelWithDebInfo /t:clean .\docbook\user_guide_docbook.vcxproj

to clean the user guide docbook target, followed by:

    msbuild /p:Configuration=RelWithDebInfo .\docbook\user_guide_docbook.vcxproj > c:\temp\build.txt

redirecting to your location of choice and post that back so I can have a look at it?  Hopefully I'll be able to remember enough of my schoolboy German to translate the output messages.  It might also be useful to see the output of the CMake generation step, again redirect to a file.

--
Graham Bloice