Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How Wireshark supports monitor mode for WLAN 802.11 adapter

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 11:51:17 -0800
On Jan 1, 2016, at 6:11 AM, Yang Luo <hsluoyb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I think a suitable modification would be adding check_function_exists( "pcap_create" HAVE_PCAP_CREATE ) to Win32 too, as below:
> if( WIN32 )
>   #
>   # This is always the case with WinPcap.
>   #
>   check_function_exists( "pcap_create" HAVE_PCAP_CREATE ) <----------------- add this
>   set(CAN_SET_CAPTURE_BUFFER_SIZE TRUE)
> else()
>   check_function_exists( "pcap_create" HAVE_PCAP_CREATE )
>   if ( HAVE_PCAP_CREATE )
>     #
>     # For libpcap, we can set the buffer size if we have pcap_create().
>     #
>     set( CAN_SET_CAPTURE_BUFFER_SIZE TRUE )
>   endif()
> endif()

No, just move

	check_function_exists( "pcap_create" HAVE_PCAP_CREATE )

above the if (WIN32) - and combine the two tests:

check_function_exists( "pcap_create" HAVE_PCAP_CREATE )
if( HAVE_PCAP_CREATE OR WIN32 )
  #
  # If we have pcap_create(), we have pcap_set_buffer_size(), and
  # can set the capture buffer size.
  #
  # Otherwise, if this is Windows, we have pcap_setbuff(), and can
  # set the capture buffer size.
  #
  set( CAN_SET_CAPTURE_BUFFER_SIZE TRUE )
endif()

> As WinPcap always has pcap_create function,

Versions of prior to 4.1 WinPcap don't have it, so if somebody has an earlier version's developer kit installed, that test won't find pcap_create().

> In Wireshark the monitor UI elements like buttons will always show up. I think this is inevitable as this is a compile-time option instead of a run-time option.

Well, we *could*, on Windows, have the code check, at run time, whether we have pcap_create() or not, allowing code built with a newer version of WinPcap to work with older versions.  That would make dumpcap more complicated, though.