Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How Wireshark supports monitor mode for WLAN 802.11 adapter

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:08:05 -0800
On Dec 31, 2015, at 5:16 AM, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 31 December 2015 at 05:03, Yang Luo <hsluoyb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> And I encountered many errors like below, how to fix these errors? The entire build log is in the attachment.

>>    91>J:\github_repos\wireshark-win64-libs\gtk2\include\glib-2.0\gobject/gsignal.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (936). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss (J:\github_repos\wireshark\ui\gtk\about_dlg.c) [J:\github_repos\wsbuild64\ui\gtk\gtkui.vcxproj]
>
> I didn't see the attachment, but the MSDN help for that error (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173715.aspx) implies an issue with the glib headers and the code page (936) used by your command prompt.  Maybe try using a different code page,

*Sigh* GLib now has Unicode copyright symbols, in UTF-8, into some headers.

Try code page 65001.  Perhaps, some day, the last Windows app that can't handle UTF-16, and uses the "ASCII" version of Win32 and expects a traditional code page, will die, and code page 65001 can be made the default, so that *all* applications will be at least somewhat capable of handling Unicode, whether it's encoded as UTF-16 or UTF-8.