Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Chained CAN dissecector: Can not get reference for CAN disse

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 06:53:54 -0500
The CAN ID is passed as the "data" parameter to the subdissector from the CAN dissector.  The C code of a subdissector to handle it would be as follows:

struct can_identifier
{
    guint32 id;
};

static int subdissector_function(tvbuff_t *tvb, packet_info *pinfo, proto_tree *tree, void* data)
{
    struct can_identifier can_id;
    can_id = *((struct can_identifier*)data);
    if (can_id.id != 42)
    {
        return 0;
    }
}

I'm not as familiar with Lua to know how to setup the equivalent, but you shouldn't need to "override" the CAN dissector to get the CAN ID.