Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Setting up git for gerrit

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:27:05 +0000

On 30 November 2015 at 09:04, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just to complete the story so far.  SSH appears to be set up correctly.  I get this:

C:\Development\Wireshark>ssh -p 29418 USERNAME@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Enter passphrase for key '/home/my_userid/.ssh/id_rsa':

  ****    Welcome to Gerrit Code Review    ****

  Hi Paul Offord, you have successfully connected over SSH.

  Unfortunately, interactive shells are disabled.

  To clone a hosted Git repository, use:

  git clone ssh://USERNAME@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/REPOSITORY_NAME.git

Connection to code.wireshark.org closed.

If I then try git review I get this:

C:\Development\Wireshark>git review

Problem running 'git remote update origin'

Fetching origin

Permission denied (publickey).

and the repository exists.

error: Could not fetch origin

There definitely seems to be a problem with the linkage between git and SSH.

Paul,

You have Cygwin on your path and are using Cygwin ssh, I think git *might* prefer to use it's own copy and thus want to see your private key in %HOMEPATH%\.ssh ($HOME\.ssh for PowerShell) which I don't think is where Cygwin will stash it.  Personally, I *don't* have Cygwin on my path, it's not required to be on there for a Windows CMake build and in the distant past it has caused issues.

Before the git changes, 2.6 IIRC, the git version of ssh was in the git cmd directory which git normally puts on your path.  Git can optionally add the usr/bin element to your path as well, but again I'm not a fan of that as it then adds all the msys tools on your path which *might* cause issues.

With git 2.6.x I modify git-review to use the absolute path to the git version of ssh, e.g. in C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\git_review\cmd.py, in function query_reviews_over_ssh, modify the path to ssh in the run_command_exc() call to be r"\C:\Program Files\git\usr\bin\ssh.exe".  This might need adjusting for your paths.

You can use Gerrit without git-review, but IMHO that's just unnecessary brain torture.

--
Graham Bloice