Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wiretap - using as a library rather than coupled with Wiresh

From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:23:35 +0100
The scenario I was figuring out was to have a software that wants to leverage the libwiretap features. The user could build wiretap in the original wireshark dir, as normal. Then it could compile/link the new software againts the compiled lib. That implies a process made by hand and not semi-automated. This couldn't apply to a released software, whose requiremets include wiretap, but could apply to scenarios of task-oriented softwares (I mean not general purpose ones).

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 26, 2015, at 1:18 AM, Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Provided that this is not a published lib, that has an unstable interface, that... whatever constraint you can figure out, I think that it could be used "as-is". To achive that wouldn't be enough to add the wiretap/ to the include dirs of the compiler and the compiled .so to the linker? Is there a step I am missing?

That depends on what Richard means by "independently of Wireshark".

If he means "can I extract the source to libwiretap, and have a source tree with *only* that, and not bother building the rest of Wireshark?", then the steps you're missing are the steps to do exactly that (and to extract the source to libwsutils).