Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Open dialog file type is broken

From: Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:59:54 +0100
Hello,

It seems that idea of opening file by type is broken from:
-----------------------
commit bf4e84aba6ff98227f76549ff2a82d65115a990c
Author:     Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
AuthorDate: Fri Nov 8 01:08:42 2013 +0000
Commit:     Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
CommitDate: Fri Nov 8 01:08:42 2013 +0000

    For open dialogs, offer a list of sets of extensions, not of file types;
    .cap, for example, doesn't refer to a particular file type - a whole
    bunch of file types use .cap.

    Also offer, in addition to "All Files", "All Capture Files", which
    matches all the extensions we know about.

    svn path=/trunk/; revision=53156
-----------------------

I do not see Android Logcat (and many, many more!) in list of types in
Open dialog. There is only list of file types with extension. But "a
whole bunch of file types use .cap", but currently user cannot open
Logcat file if heuristic fail. And finally I got this case but
unfortunately feature to open it by manually set file type was
broken/removed.

Possible solution:
>    /*
>     * Microsoft's UI guidelines say, of the file filters in open and
>     * save dialogs:
>     *
>     *    For meta-filters, remove the file extension list to eliminate
>     *    clutter. Examples: "All files," "All pictures," "All music,"
>     *    and "All videos."
>     *
>     * On both Windows XP and Windows 7, Wordpad doesn't do that, but
>     * Paint does.
>     *
>     * XXX - on Windows, does Qt do that here?  For "All Capture Files",
>     * the filter will be a bit long, so it *really* shouldn't be shown.
>     * What about other platforms?
>     */

>     *    For meta-filters, remove the file extension list to eliminate
>     *    clutter. Examples: "All files," "All pictures," "All music,"
>     *    and "All videos."

So you can add all supported by Wireshark file types, but without
extension (*.*).

By the way: When I add this combobox with file types I do not think
about use it as "File Extension Type", so it is not standard part of
open dialogue, it is Wireshark feature. But removing extension from
all types is also good for me.

--

Pozdrawiam / Best regards
Michał Łabędzki, Software Engineer

Product Development Services

http://www.tieto.com / http://www.tieto.pl
---
ASCII: Michal Labedzki
location: Swobodna 1 Street, 50-088 Wrocław, Poland
room: 5.01 (desk next to 5.08)
---
Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the
notified that any unauthorised use, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to
the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank You.
---
---
Tieto Poland spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością z siedzibą w
Szczecinie, ul. Malczewskiego 26. Zarejestrowana w Sądzie Rejonowym
Szczecin-Centrum w Szczecinie, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego
Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem 0000124858. NIP: 8542085557. REGON:
812023656. Kapitał zakładowy: 4 271500 PLN