Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] CAN over Ethernet

From: Kumquat KromKiller <kromkillerkumquat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 15:12:34 +0100
I choose how CAN messages will be transported, that is why I said I can add whatever layers I want between Ethernet and CAN.

Right now, it's just plain encapsulation of CAN over Ethernet with a custom EtherType greater than 0x0600.

Ideally, I would like to avoid making my own dissector. It would be great if captured traffic could be dissected with Wireshark out-of-the-box, even if I have to add several unnecessary layers between Ethernet and CAN.

For example, SLL has a non-standard EtherType value for CAN messages but it cannot be encapsulated with Ethernet (there's no standard EtherType value for SLL)

Maybe there's a combination of CANopen, SLL, EtherCAT, SocketCAN or whatever that can achieve this ?