Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Important! my Wireshark won't capture packets

From: M Buch <mcb_triff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 17:11:27 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

I'm a student and I'm trying to do a networking assignment, part of which says I'm supposed to capture packets on Wireshark with the filter of tcp port 80. I'm using Windows 7 on my laptop, and despite that I follow the instructions of the problem, I'm not getting any packets at all. Here is the assignment problem I'm working on:

Launch Wireshark and start a capture with a filter of “tcp port 80“. Make sure to check “enable network name resolution”. We use this filter to record only standard web traffic. Name resolution will translate the IP addresses of the computers sending and receiving packets into names. It will help you to recognize whether the packets are going to or from your computer. Your capture window should be similar to the one pictured below, other than our highlighting. Select the interface from which to capture as the main wired or wireless interface used by your computer to connect to the Internet. If unsure, guess and revisit this step later if your capture is not successful. Uncheck “capture packets in promiscuous mode”. This mode is useful to overhear packets sent to/from other computers on broadcast networks. We only want to record packets sent to/from your computer. Leave other options at their default values. The capture filter, if present, is used to prevent the capture of other traffic your computer may send or receive. On Wireshark 1.8, the capture filter box is present directly on the options screen, but on Wireshark 1.9, you set a capture filter by double-clicking on the interface.

Can you please help me out? This assignment is due tonight!

Thanks,