Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] command line tools

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 09:21:10 -0700
On Oct 29, 2015, at 5:14 PM, Bret Jordan <jordan2175@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wrote a command line tool that you might want to include in the Wireshark bundle of command line tools.
>
> rewritecap is a tool for rebasing a PCAP file, editing layer2 and layer3 addresses, and updating ARP packets. PCAP-ng files are not currently supported.

If it doesn't use libwiretap, and thus doesn't support the formats that Wireshark itself can read and write, it's not clear that it really belongs in the Wireshark bundle.

We can, however, point to its repository from the Tools page of the Wireshark Wiki:

	https://wiki.wireshark.org/Tools

> It is written in Go 1.5.

...which means that it would, at best, end up being an *optional* part of the bundle, as we're not going to require a Go compiler in order to build Wireshark itself.