Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Change in wireshark[master]: Convert "dissector filter" regi

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:49:12 -0400
(Apologies if this is a resend, having some issues with mailing list)

I basically asked the same question about a year ago: https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201412/msg00009.html

At the time the Qt GUI wasn't far enough along for me to tell if they would/should develop into 2 separate features (even though I thought they should be merged).  Now that the Qt GUI is fully developed, I found myself looking for the EtherNet/IP and Profinet "conversation" filters and didn't see them.   When I originally added EtherNet/IP to the "conversation filters", it (dissector_filters.{c,h}) was more of a feature I "stumbled across" and the Profinet implementation seemed like a "one off". Generically written, but necessary because the display filter needed to track the conversation was complex enough to justify menu items.

In the GTK, the difference appears to be "colorize" (via context menu using color_dissector_filter.{c,h}) or "not colorize" (via main menu using dissector_filters.{c,h}).  In Qt, you have the option to colorize (via context menu using color_dissector_filter.{c,h}) or not colorize (via main menu using color_dissector_filter.{c,h}).   Since I want "not colorize" for EtherNet/IP and Profinet, I presume to just never use the content menu and register their "conversation filter" with color_dissector_filter API (which is what https://code.wireshark.org/review/11263 is trying to achieve)

Based on comments I could receive either here or in the review, I would probably amend the patch to remove the dissector_filter.{c,h} entirely.  That would probably mean converting the existing "not color"/dissector_filter.{c,h} menu items in GTK to use color_dissector_filter API instead.