Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark packet capture in simulations/emulations (e.g. Mininet

From: Murat Karakus <muratkarakus60@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 21:22:59 -0400
Hi All,

As far as I know Wireshark captures real packets sent to/from your machine's network cards/interfaces like Ethernet, wireless etc.

I could not understand how Wireshark can capture packets in a simulated/emulated network created such as Mininet. At the end, it is a simulation/emulation and no real packet is sent from/to my laptop's network cards/interfaces!

Can anyone explain me how Wireshark is able to do this?

Best Regards,
Murat Karakus