Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] "private" dissectors

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 01:41:46 -0400
While reviewing the DOF dissectors (https://code.wireshark.org/review/8869), I noticed that all of the registered dissectors used proto_set_cant_toggle() and proto_mark_private().  I don't think either is appropriate for a "regular" dissector, but I had never seen proto_mark_private(), so I looked it up.  It's not used by any dissector in the code base and just seems to limit exposing a "wiki link" or having it show up in the protocol list.
Is that behavior we even want to have?  Are there proprietary dissectors that are using this functionality and so it should remain?

I created a patch with it all removed (https://code.wireshark.org/review/10997), in case there are objections.