Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] master 43b77ae: Qt: Add an event process

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:12:33 -0400
On 09/17/15 16:25, Wireshark code review wrote:
Submitter: Gerald Combs (gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Changed: branch: master
Repository: wireshark

Commits:

43b77ae by Gerald Combs (gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):

     Qt: Add an event processing timer.

     When updating the progress dialog (which happens each time we read a
     packet) the GTK+ UI processes application events every 100ms. Do the
     same in the Qt UI.

Interesting... I had been looking briefly at the Qt progress dialog because I noticed that, when loading a very large capture file, the dialog doesn't update very smoothly or regularly (this is Qt5 on Linux/X11).

With this 100msec timer it seems to update much more regularly but it only updates every 2 *seconds* (about 10 updates during a 22-second file load). I'm guessing it doesn't behave like that on other systems?

(Also, side note: file.c doesn't call update_progress_dlg() for every packet; it aims to call that function 100 times while reading a file.)