Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Greetings and Where to Start

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 07:36:50 +0000

Hi,

If the object is

> in optimizing code using data structures

In what way to make it run faster? Wiresharks innards are quite complicated and may take a while to get the hang of but if it would be possible

To optimize in terms of memory usage or execution speed it would be very beneficial for the performance.

-          The packet list handling /ui/qt/ packet_list.cpp would be the place to start

-          Reassembly (epan/reassembly.c)

-          Conversations(hastable sizes and lookup) (epan/conversations.c)

-          Epan/proto.c

You’d probably need a large capture file and run profiling on it to find the hot spots which may vary depending on the protocol mix in the capture and

Whether the GUI version (Wirsehark) or the cl version ( tshark) are used and if filters are applied or not.

Regards

Anders