Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Various problems with tshark

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 15:10:40 -0400
On 08/31/15 23:51, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 09:47:11PM +0200, Pascal Quantin wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 08:17:44AM +0200, Pascal Quantin wrote:

When using tshark from head I have a bunch of problems right now:

1) stderr is getting spammed with
(process:9870): Capture-WARNING **: Dissector stp incomplete in frame
41915: undecoded byte number 57 (0x0030+9)
My understanding is that it is not intended to be activated by default, but
only in "development mode" (at least according to the comments in the
Gerrit patch if I remember correctly).

I don't really want to switch stuff on and off all the time. Many "interesting"
things are noted during normal work.

Yeah, this is why dissectors aren't supposed to write to stdout/stderr. :-)

If we don't want to get rid of the messages while running tshark, wouldn't the other answer be to set up another g_log domain (which gets printed in the GUI but sent to the bit bucket in tshark)?