Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tvb_captured_length or tvb_reported_length?

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 13:37:59 -0400
Many systems support packet capture such that only the first n bytes
of each captured packet is saved, as this is far more efficient and
frequently enough if you're only interested in the headers. When that
occurs, "captured" is the number of bytes actually captured, while
"reported" is the original number of bytes on the wire.

The vast majority of the time, dissectors need to use the length
reported on the wire; the captured length is only useful in specific
circumstances like reassembling fragmented messages.

Evan