Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Patch: Prepare for some cleanups of 802.11ad

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:45:50 -0700
On Aug 22, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So software that reads radiotap captures and that cares about 11ad information needs to have a workaround wherein frames lacking a DMG field (which means "all frames", currently, as there isn't yet a DMG field) and having a channel frequency in the 11ad range have an 11ad PHY and, if they have MCS or VHT fields, ignore all items in those fields that don't apply to 11ad and *perhaps* interpret the MCS value in the MCS field as if it were an 11ad MCS value rather than an 11n MCS value.

For what it's worth, it appears that the Linux wil6210 driver:

	https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/wil6210

uses the MCS field and its mcs value for 11ad.  (It can also be configured to supply raw "PHY data" with a vendor-namespace field.)  So, unless I've missed something, this workaround is also needed for packets from that driver (unless that *is* where you're getting these packets...).