Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Npcap 0.04 call for test

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:07:43 +0200

Hi list,

Npcap 0.04 r5 has added the DLT_NULL protocol support, you need to check the "Use DLT_NULL protocol as loopback packets' link layer instead of Ethernet II" option when installing (default is not checked). The problem is Wireshark didn't recognize these loopback packets correctly, I think Windows is little-endian system, so "02 00 00 00" protocol header should be right. Hope any helpful answers.

Latest install is at:

Hi Yang,

DLT_NULL does not work as expected because Npcap is still providing a linktype of type Ethernet instead of Null. I was able to fix the encapsulation of a captue by running editcap -T null dlt_null.pcapng dlt_null_fixed.pcapng.
Another issue is that value 23 is not interpreted as IPv6 for Windows, but as Netware IPX/SPX. Should we "steal" the value of another system? For now the NULL dissector supports IPv6 codes for BSD (24), FreeBSD (28) and OS X (30). Guy, what do you think?

Cheers,
Pascal.