Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] use of FT_PROTOCOL

From: Cody Doucette <doucette@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 17:17:22 -0400
I am trying to extend the XIP dissector to include a sub-protocol that should only come after an XIP header. I want it displayed at the top-level in the "Packet Details" pane, so adding this protocol *inside* of the XIP dissector code seems like a good choice. I think FT_PROTOCOL will allow me to do this.

But on the other hand, the new protocol is somewhat complicated, and for readability would probably be better suited as its *own* dissector in a separate file.

Is there a preferred way to proceed in this kind of case? All of the uses of FT_PROTOCOL in dissectors that I can see appear to be fairly simple.

Thanks!
Cody