Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Bug in Wireshark Display filter engine caused by optimization of

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:09:48 -0700
Hi folks,

Below are my findings on the problem I mentioned earlier under the
title of Is this a bug in the display filter engine or something I
have done wrong.

The problem is that unless the display filter explicitly mentions a
field it will usually be optimized out of the proto tree.

I would like more input on how to solve this problem.

One approach I can think if is that the Header Field abbrev field can
include fields that it depends on, eg:

    {&hf_ieee80211_ff_dmg_params_bss,
     {"BSS Type", "wlan.dmg_params.bss(radiotap.channel.freq)",
      FT_UINT8, BASE_DEC, VALS(bss_type), 0x03,
      NULL, HFILL }},

Where the field in parens specifies what other fields this on might
depend on. The filter parser would have to parse them out and include
them in the array of fields of interest.

However, I wonder if there is an easier way.

This only seems to be a problem for protocols that depend in some way
on protocols above them.