Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to get a header_field_info instance from its id?

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:58:39 -0400
The description of a "field type" for and hf_ field doesn't always correspond to its length on the wire.  While many times that is the case for integers (FT_UINTx), it wouldn't be the case for strings or byte arrays (or many of the other field types).
You also have cases were an integer field can vary between 1-4 (or 8) bytes and rather than create separate hf_ fields for every combination, you can just specify the size in proto_tree_add_item, with a single hf_ field (typically FT_UINT32) that covers all of the cases.

I don't think it's a bad thing to just explicitly use an integer value for the size of any field for "code consistency" because not all fields are FT_UINTx types.