Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Npcap 0.04 call for test

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 19:30:36 +0200

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for test. It's my typo mistake for the BSoD word, what I meant is the loopback interface didn't show problem, in fact they share the same cause. Because I didn't handle the error correctly in 0.03 r5 and r6, so it turns to a BSoD.

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 16 août 2015 3:39 PM, "Pascal Quantin" <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hi Yang,

>> Hi Pascal,
>>
>> I think this BSoD is caused by the Winsock Kernel init code in Npcap driver (NPF_WSKStartup call or NPF_WSKInitSockets call failed). I can't reproduce it on my Win8.1 VM, Win10 VM and Win10 physical host. I used VMware Workstation 11.1.2 for my VMs. I don't know which type your VM is? There shouldn't be pretty much hardware difference between VMs. What special software has you installed on your VM? The boldest idea is that you provide a VM image that occurs this problem if you like.
>

> I'm running a Windows 10 x64 VM running on Virtualbox 5.0 (with extension pack) with just Wireshark 1.99.9 development version and Nmap installed. No other specific software installed. In the VM system settings, I have checked IO-APIC, PAE/NX, VT-x/AMD-V and nested paging options with 2 processors. The network adapter is using the default setting (NAT).
> The VM is 41Gb so I will not be able to upload it unfortunately. But maybe you could reproduce it with Virtualbox instead of VMware?

I have the latest VirtualBox 5.0.2 r102096 installed on my Win10 x64 host, installed Win10 x64 VM on it, with Wireshark 1.99.8 and Npcap 0.04. I also checked IO-APIC, PAE/NX, VT-x/AMD-V and nested paging options with 2 processors. Network is default NAT. But the result turns out that I could see and capture on the Npcap loopback adapter, everything is fine. I think maybe you'd like to upgrade your VirtualBox to latest 5.0.2 to see what happens. If this isn't fixed, perhaps a brand new VM is needed.

Still no luck :(.  You will find attached the DebugView log taken with 0.04r2.

Hi Yang,

my Windows 10 x64 host does not reliably succeed to open the loopback interface either (I just tried it once before and it was working fine, but on next reboot it was not). You will find attached the log of version 0.04r2.

Pascal.