Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Npcap 0.03 call for test

From: Yang Luo <hsluoyb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:27:32 +0800

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Tyson Key <tyson.key@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After rebooting from uninstalling MS NetMon, I restarted Wireshark, and got the usual "NPF service not running; no interfaces available" note. This persists, even if I try "NPFInstall -r", and Wireshark still claims that no interfaces are available.

"NPFInstall -r" isn't used in Npcap. "NPF service not running; no interfaces available" is a common problem for Npcap previous versions. And I think it should disappear if you have uninstalled previous versions totally.

Eventually, after uninstalling NPCap, removing all of the loopback interfaces, and running CCleaner to remove any residual registry data, and then rebooting yet again, I could start Wireshark, and list the installed interfaces - but unsurprisingly, a few moments later, I received another BSoD.

If it helps, my Wireshark version is:

Version 1.99.8-492-g3f0f49d (v1.99.8rc0-492-g3f0f49d from master)

Copyright 1998-2015 Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> and contributors.
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>

Compiled (64-bit) with GTK+ 2.24.23, with Cairo 1.12.16, with Pango 1.36.8, with
WinPcap (unknown), with libz 1.2.8, with GLib 2.42.0, with SMI 0.4.8, with
c-ares 1.9.1, with Lua 5.2, with GnuTLS 3.2.15, with Gcrypt 1.6.2, with MIT
Kerberos, with GeoIP, with PortAudio V19-devel (built Jul 22 2015), with
AirPcap.

Running on 64-bit Windows 8.1, build 9600, with locale English_United
Kingdom.1252, with Npcap version 0.01 (packet.dll version 0.03), based on
WinPcap version 4.1.3 (packet.dll version 4.1.0.3001), based on libpcap version
1.0 branch 1_0_rel0b (20091008), with GnuTLS 3.2.15, with Gcrypt 1.6.2, without
AirPcap.
AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics     (with SSE4.2), with 5577MB of
physical memory.

Built using Microsoft Visual C++ 12.0 build 31101

Wireshark is Open Source Software released under the GNU General Public License.

Check the man page and http://www.wireshark.org for more information.

I used Wireshark latest stable version: Version 1.12.6 (v1.12.6-0-gee1fce6 from master-1.12). But I don't think it makes a difference by using stable version or development version, as its WinPcap related low-level code rarely changed between these two versions.

Other than NetMon (which I've removed), the only other things that I think could be causing a conflict are either the VMware host-only networking filters; the networking components included with whatever Bluetooth stack Lenovo shipped; the massive pile of hacks installed by the Gacela component of "Nurago Web Meter", or my Atheros WLAN drivers (which caused Acrylic Wi-Fi's NDIS filters to crash, when I briefly had that installed, a while ago).

What version VMware are you using? Workstation or just Player? I used VMware Workstation 11.1.2 build-2780323 on my host, but I didn't install it on my test VM yet.

Cheers,
Yang