Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Npcap 0.01 call for test about Windows loopback traffic capt

From: Tyson Key <tyson.key@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:03:16 +0100
Hi Yang,

Thank you for looking into implementing this. Sadly, I tried your package on my Win8.1 x86-64 machine, and found that not only did the new NPF service not start after uninstalling "real" WinPCap (running the installation tool manually, with the -il, and -i options didn't seem to do anything, until rebooting), and then your new NPCap in "compatibility mode", I had problems connecting to my WLAN, after rebooting (and I also received a BSOD, at one stage whilst trying to capture on multiple interfaces).

Unfortunately, I don't know if I can reproduce these issues, or provide any logging information, this time - but if I get chance, I'll have another look.

Take care,

Tyson.

Hi list,

In order not to diverge with WinPcap interfaces, I have made a "WinPcap Mode" for Npcap, it uses the same system32 directory to put DLLs and has the same "npf" service and driver name. So it can be directly used in Wireshark without any patch.

Another news is that I have finished Windows loopback packet capture feature in Npcap, Npcap will install an adapter named "Npcap Loopback Adapter". And I can see the loopback traffic using Wireshark now (See the attached pic). It seems to still have problems, like the "(no response found!)" in the ICMPv6 packets (ping ::1) in the pic. I don't know why Wireshark shows like this, perhaps you guys can provide me a clue.

I have tested this version Npcap under Wireshark 1.12.6 x64, in Windows 8.1 x64 and Windows Server 2016 TP2.

Notice: You need to try it under Win7 and later, and no need to change the installation options, just click the "Next"s. Npcap installed in "WinPcap Mode" is exclusive with WinPcap, so you must uninstall WinPcap first (installer will prompt you this).

The README is:

The implementation internal about loopback traffic feature is:

Cheers,
Yang