Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Enabling/disabling ANY heuristic dissector

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadrielk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:01:44 -0400
> On Jul 13, 2015, at 9:32 AM, mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> I thought somebody might complain about something like this, but I was more focused on the Wireshark (packet) context menu, where I was less inclined to make changes.  This however seems like a more valid use case to consider.  My question back would be - what "string" should be used by tshark?  The "display name" can have some undesirable characters in it from a command line perspective (ie probably require quotes), and the "internal" short name string isn't otherwise exposed for users to learn what is.
> Should the "short name" be exposed on the tabbed dialog so users can learn it to apply it to a (new) tshark option?

The short name should be used - it’s likely there will be changes to the long descriptive ones, but we can keep the short one whatever it is so it doesn’t break scripts invoking tshark.

But yeah, I do think that means it needs to be shown in the tabbed dialog.  Also, at some point tshark’s ‘-G’ should be able to dump the list of names as well.

-hadriel