Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Minimum supported library versions?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 18:18:24 +0200

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

While working on the libgcrypt code in the SSL dissector
(https://code.wireshark.org/review/9572), I noticed that some
code can be slightly simplified by using a newer version (1.5.0,
released June 2011[1]).

Gerald told me at SF that we aim to support 5 years old libraries
(correct me if I am wrong). Shall we use bump the library requirements
for the 2.0 release too? (glib2, gcrypt, ...)?

Personally I aim more for "try not to drop support for still-(commonly)-used distributions" (especially the Red Hat EL's but I suppose LTS releases would also count).  Thus we have a page:

https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Glib_Gtk_version_tracking

which attempts to make that kind of decision easier.  Unfortunately libgcrypt isn't on the page--maybe it should be.